Our network safety
Check before you dig
Here at Waipā, we like to keep everything safe, from our customers to our network assets. To help protect everyone and everything, we strongly suggest you check out the beforeUdig website. This is an essential service that provides safety guidance from simple DIY projects around the house to doing earthworks for big projects in the yard.
Before you start any type of digging work, either with machinery or hand tools, you must check if there are any cables, pipes, and other utility assets where you want to complete your project.
This website can be found here.
Maintaining safe distances
Safety is our top priority, and we want to ensure our staff, contractors, and customers stay safe around our network. One of the most important ways to maintain safety is by keeping a safe distance from our network and its equipment.
We recommend keeping a minimum safe distance of 4 meters from our overhead lines, transformers, and other equipment. This distance helps to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff and contractors. If you work near our network or need to access our equipment, please contact us first for the necessary safety instructions.
Additionally, it’s important to be aware of the risks associated with our network, including the risk of electric shock, burns, and injury from falling objects. We encourage everyone to follow our safety guidelines when working near our network and to report any safety concerns or incidents immediately.
Here are some tips for maintaining a safe distance around our network:
- Please keep in mind overhead lines and stay at least 4 meters away from them.
- Keep a safe distance from transformers and other equipment. Please do not touch any equipment or attempt to repair it yourself.
- Always use the correct safety equipment near our network, including hard hats, safety glasses, and gloves.
- Only climb utility poles or attempt to access our equipment with authorisation and proper safety training.
Remember, safety is everyone’s responsibility. By working together and following our safety guidelines, we can ensure a safe and reliable network for our community.
Establish what’s above
Reviewing where our power lines are
When working near power lines, you must treat them all as active live lines. You must keep yourself and any apparatus at least 4m away from the lines.
Key facts to remember when working around power lines:
- If anything touches the lines, DO NOT interact with it. Touching things that are hanging off the live lines will result in injury. Call us on 0800 800 769 24 hours / 7 days to assist retrieving your item back.
- Around your property, ensure that anything that could blow into the powerlines is secured to a fixed asset on your property, such as a post or something in the ground.
- Make sure if you are moving items around, you lower them to reduce the risk of them hitting the power lines
- If you are using extendable equipment, make sure that you have looked up and assessed where the power lines are before extending them
- If you notice a tree within 4m of a power line, do not cut/ prune it yourself. Call Waikato Tree Services to assist on 0508 87 33 22.